Thursday, January 5, 2017

Breaking the unhelpful cycle of fear

The fear of failure is a virus. An insidious virus that taints the mind with its lethargic cycle of criticism and worry.

I've struggled with this fear for years, I'm still coming to terms with it. One thing I've  understood along this journey of breaking through my fears is this: it's okay to be afraid.

What I no longer accept is to allow my fears dictate my response to events, situations and/or persons. No matter how stressful and 'uncomfortable' these situations might be.

I've learnt to see fear for what it is. An apparition. It's real in my mind YES! Nevertheless, that's not necessarily the reality. Is it life threatening? No I don't think so. But the mind would endeavor to stop you from moving forward. With 'good' albeit outdated and invalid reasons.

I've found the following to be very helpful in dealing with my fears.

1. Confront your fears.
2. Acknowledge that you are experiencing it.
3. Open up to your 'fearful' feelings and acknowledge them also.
4. Then do the opposite of your fear.

What other steps can be taken to better handle our fears?

Please let me know in the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment